Sunday, January 12, 2014

Can We Start the Official Countdown?

T-minus a week...kinda. Well, a week til I leave the lovely town of Menomonie for a year and head down to Matt's parents in Milwaukee for a few days before we fly out of Chicago on Tuesday the 21st.

Everything is pretty much set...except for the minor issue of packing, of which I haven't begun to even start. Oh well. Just 4 more days at Buckle store 80 and 2 days to get packed, then I am out of here. Yowza.

It seems that since I've been waiting for so long that it's not actually going to come. I mean, I'm leaving the country for 9 months in ONE WEEK. I don't think it's really set in yet.

People have been asking me if I'm nervous, and the answer to that is a resounding YES. If I even start to think about it for more than a few minutes I kind of feel like I'm going to puke.

However, I realized a trend in my anxiety. Not that this is anything profound or original, but I realized that really what I'm anxious about is the unknown.

Do I know where I'll be living? No.
Do I know if the teachers at my school will be nice? No.
Do I know that I'll be able to survive on 700 Euros a month? No.

But I think that's kind of the rush I'm looking for, that I need right now in my life. I don't know what will happen during this experience, but I do know that I get to go with Matt, and that there are a handful of awesome people that are going to the same city as me and will be going through the exact same trials and tribulations that I will be. And I'm sure they're freaking out just as much as I am.

As long as I keep reminding myself that what I'm really nervous about is the unknown, I think I'll be able to handle this whole Spain thing.

originally published 9.12.10

No comments:

Post a Comment