Sunday, January 12, 2014

Departure Date Set

We have our tickets for Spain...leaving from Chicago the 21st of September and arriving in Bilbao on the 22nd...exciting, yes, but makes this whole thing seem a lot more real.

I've been waiting to do this program for over a year, and to actually have a set date to leave for SPAIN is crazy. After all this preparation (and a lot more to come), I still can't really believe that I'll be moving to another country for 9 months. Matt and I were talking the other day about how we really can't believe that we'll actually be in Spain in a little over 2 months.

Here is a list of things I'm super excited about:

-Living in a city that I've never even been to
-Being reunited with Spanish food...tortilla, jámon, kalimotxo...
-Access to easy travel
-Seeing old European friends
-Meeting new friends
-Living on the coast
-Not having to drive
-A winter that doesn't come anywhere close to Wisconsin's
-Getting away from the "normal" routine here
-No more working retail!!!
-Fútbol
-Zara, Mango, Corte Ingés, and all the other fab Spain shopping
-Seeing buildings that are older than 200 years on a regular basis
-Siesta
-Speaking Spanish again
-Working 12-16 hours a week
-Ryanair flights
-Spanish wine and fiestas
-Socibus and trains
-Bars that are open past 2 am


However, there are a few things that I'm pretty nervous for:

-Finding an apartment...in a new city...in Spanish
-Working in a classroom...even thought I'm not technically the English teacher, I have absolutely no training in teaching kids (I'm a Comm major, for pete's sake!)
-Money...money...money...
-Spanish bureaucracy...I've already come to loathe it, and I can't see it getting any better once I'm actually in Spain
-Speaking Spanish again...while it's not bad by any means, it's been awhile since I had a conversational Spanish class, and my grammar is far from perfect.

The good obviously outweighs the bad, and since I've been looking for a way to get back to Spain ever since I left in 2008, I'm pretty confident that this is the best choice for me. Yes, it's going to be challenging and I'm sure there will be times when I just want to come home, but I also know that if I don't do it, I'll always regret it.
Oh, and Viva España on Sunday for the World Cup!

originally published 7.8.2010

No comments:

Post a Comment