Sunday, March 2, 2014

An Open Letter to Every Teacher I've Ever Had

Dear teachers of my past,

I get it now.

I know, I'm not technically a teacher, but I am getting a real taste of how education works. And I would like to share with you a few things that I have learned thus far.

  • I realize now that whenever I was writing notes or doing other homework, I wasn't fooling anyone.
  • I know now that teachers look forward to the weekends just as much or more than the students.
  • Teachers also DO more work than the students. 
  • I'm sorry for ever whispering in class. That is SO annoying. 
  • This is directed at my elementary teachers: I get the whole winking thing. I used to be super weirded out when a teacher would wink at me, but I find myself fighting the urge to do it myself.
  • The kid that is trying to be funny in class may be amusing to the students, but it drives me crazy
  • Spanish teachers: I'm sorry for every "Cómo se dice..." just because I was too lazy to look it up myself
  • I've realized that teachers sometimes hate working out of the textbook just as much as the students. But sometimes you just gotta do it. 
  • Doing the same lesson class after class is bo-ring. Props to Mrs. Behrend for reading The Grapes of Wrath multiple times a day.
  • Thinking of creative, interesting ways to engage the students is hard. 
  • Teachers are real people. With real lives. 
So I apologize for every time I complained, talked too much during class, or just didn't care enough. I gotta hand it to you, for the most part, you knew what you were doing.

Elizabeth

Originally published 12.3.10

No comments:

Post a Comment