Sunday, March 2, 2014

Change of Heart

I must admit, the idea behind this post was not totally original. I was inspired by Cat´s last post on nostalgia over at her blogOlivares Bound. So Cat, I am expounding on your thoughts, hope that´s ok.

I have never thought myself one to get overly excited about Christmas festivities. Sure, I enjoy being with my family and food and all good stuff, but I was never that person who blasts carols 24/7 and decorates their house to nines, wrapping their kitchen cupboards in festive wrapping paper (I´m talking about you, Kristi).

Maybe it was because I´ve worked in retail for the past million Christmases. For me, the days leading up to and after Christmas were always filled with stress and good old fashioned American consumerism. It´s hard to be merry when someone is screaming in your face about not having the right size in the 10th pair of jeans they want for their 13 year old daughter.

It may be because I´m out of the retail world now, it may be because I´m in Spain, or it may be just because I´m getting older, but this year, Christmas fever hit me hard.

I´ve been scouring the Chino stores (stores in Spain that have everything for super cheap, and are run by Chinese famililes) for Christmas decorations. I´ve been snatching up random presents to put in Matt´s stocking. I´ve even been known to crank Mariah Carey´s "All I Want for Christmas is You" on repeat for hours at a time.

I´ve had a hankering to make Christmas cookies, and am popping my head into every church to see their belen (Nativity scene). I´m watching Elf  and craving candy canes. I even thought about sending a Christmas card.

It´s interesting how the traditions that you´re involved in every year become more meaningful when you aren´t able to participate in them. I suppose that will make them even more meaningful when I return to the States. I guess now is the time for me to start to make my own Christmas traditions and memories.

If I don´t blog before I leave for Malta, Merry Christmas, Feliz Navidad, and Zorionak to all!

Originally posted 12.16.10

No comments:

Post a Comment