Sunday, March 2, 2014

Spain, I Love You But...

...you suck at customer service (and yes Mom, I owe you a quarter).

I was at Eroski today (the nearest supermarket) and I was browsing the selection of noodles for the chicken noodle soup I was going to make for my sick sweetheart. As I was looking (not blocking the aisles), 3 employees barged right in front of me. No "permiso" or "perdona", just plowed their way through without a second glance.

Maybe it's because I used to work in customer service so I notice these things, but I can't count the number of times I've stood in line at Zara or Pull and Bear, with a huge line behind me, and watched the employees just chat away, oblivious to my impatience. A lot of times I don't even get a "gracias" at the end of the transaction.

And I know they don't work for tips at restaurants here, but the other day it took the guy ten minutes to give us placemats. Then ten minutes later, he brought us our silverware. After another ten minutes, he came back to take the drink order.  And so on and so forth.

It's possible that I'm just used to "American" customer service, and maybe that customer service is a self-serving or insincere  (doing it just to get tips or not to make your boss mad). Or it's possible that people in Spain just don't care that much about being polite.

Oh well. You can't win 'em all.

Originally published 1.31.12

No comments:

Post a Comment