Sunday, March 2, 2014

"E" for "Exceeds Expectations"

Apparently my mental anxiety in my last post was all for naught. Matt and I had a wonderful weekend in Valladolid.

The professors that we ran into at the University (Alfredo, Montse, and Beatriz) remembered us (or so they said), and we had a lovely conversation.

I found my host mom's new casa easily (with help from Alfredo). Of course, now it's located just minutes from the University, whereas when Katelyn and I lived there, it was a 40-minute haul to and from school each day. We had coffee with her and then she took us for a delicious lunch of paella, ensalada, tortilla...the whole 9 yards. It was great to catch up with her, and she said if I ever came back, I could stay with her, Luna, and Janna. Score.

Next on the agenda was Matt's host mom. She had no idea Matt was in town, but when he buzzed the piso, we went up and she invited us back that night for dinner. We couldn't believe our luck. 2 Spanish meals in one day!

After that, we visited all the old hang-out spots...the park, the Plaza Mayor, the "beach"...it brought back some great memories that I had with some great people, but it was also fun to be back in Valladolid with Matt (he studied there the year before me).

That night, we dined on tortilla, chorizo, and salad with Matt's host family, and met the two guys from UWEC that are staying with them now. After dinner, we brought one of the guys to La Negra Flor, the bar of choice when we studied there. Carlos, the bartender, may not have remembered us specifically, but he sure did remember the amount of money American students brought into his bar. He gave us shots and free beers all night, just like old times.

I left feeling glad that I had visited, and ultimately glad that I had chosen Valladolid to study at in the first place.

Overall, it was an epic, epic win.

My host mom, Carmen

La Negra Flor

Originally published 2.12.12

No comments:

Post a Comment