Sunday, May 11, 2014

Away We Go: Semana Santa in Southern Spain

2008 Sevilla
It's almost that time in Spain again. 

In the United States, land of "Separation of Church and State", you're lucky if you get one day off for Easter. Not so in Spain. Most schools get between one and two weeks off. In País Vasco, we fall into the latter category, securing 16 days free of school and any responsibilities that come with it.

How lucky.

Of course, we will be using this time to the fullest, having planned a wonderful Semana Santa extravaganza. It will be myself, Matt, roommate Amy, and friend Andrew.

On Thursday night, we will fly to Málaga, in the south of Spain. There, we will rent a car and continue our journey west. We will be making stops in Ronda, Gibraltar, Marbella, Cadiz, and Tarifa, to name a few. Then, we will be journeying into southern Portugal to laze around on the beach for a few days.

After all the R&R, we will drive to drop the car off in Sevilla, the Semana Santa capital of Spain. Semana Santa in Sevilla is serious business. I was there 3 years ago, but my friends haven't seen it, so we had to stop there for Easter weekend. If you want the low-down on the celebration, my amiga Cat recently wrote a good piece on it that you should check out.

Following all the Easter goodness, we will hop on a plane to Marrakesh, Morocco. I'm super stoked to check out  Africa, and I'm looking forward to seeing some different sights. And possibly riding a camel.

I know a lot of you live in Andalucía or have traveled to some of the places on my itinerary. I would love some suggestions of things to see, what to eat, where to go, so leave some comments please!

Originally published 4.11.11

No comments:

Post a Comment