Sunday, May 11, 2014

Some Things Never Change

I have a private lesson student named Inés. She is 9. She goes to the American School in Bilbao, and I go to her house almost every afternoon and help her with her homework, which can be anything from math to social studies. 

She speaks perfect English, and even has a little British accent, which is adorable. She's also hilarious, which makes it pretty fun. 

It's been awhile since I was 9, but working with Inés has made me realize that despite all the iPads and texting and TV programs I've never heard of, somethings are the same as they were when I was in 5th grade. 




Did anyone else read the Babysitters Club? I was obsessed with those books, and I think I read almost every one. They were so good! 
Old school cover
Well, I had assumed that the Babysitters Club went the way of VCRs and Cabbage Patch Dolls.  Imagine my delight when Inés pulled this out of her backpack today:



Looks like Kristy, Stacy, Dawn, Claudia and Mary Ann are still alive and well in Stoneybrook, Connecticut. It also looks like they've been ushered into the 21st century, so I'm glad the publishers are keeping them relavant. I mean, check out Claudia's 2-toned hair. Definitely a different look than those yellow overalls she's sporting in the original cover. 





When for my friend Julia's birthday one year, my friends and I learned the dance to Spice Girls "Wannabe".

Today, Inés performed a dance that her and her friends choreographed a dance to a Victoria Justice song.

What more could your friend want for her 10th birthday than that?




Remember in elementary school when you had those little rhymes like, "Kindergarten baby, wash your face in gravy, wipe it off with bubble gum, send it to the navy."? Well, rest assured that things like that are still alive and well in 5th grade classes around Spain. The most popular one I keep hearing is about Justin Bieber being gay and straightening his hair like a Shar-pei. Offensive? Absolutely. Can I get it out of my head? Nope. 




I may be a few years past being 9 years old, but I'm glad I have Inés to fill me in on what's cool these days. 

Originally published 10.27.11

No comments:

Post a Comment