Sunday, May 11, 2014

Young Adventuress Liz: 5 Things to Do in La Rioja

I'm back! My trip was amazing, as expected. I saw more than I expected and am trying to organize how I'm going to tell you all about it. I also have a lot of new writing opportunities coming my way, so stay tuned for that, and you might just find me popping up on other sights you frequent.

 I'm insanely overwhelmed with all the catching up I have to do from being gone for 2 weeks, but while I try and sort out my life, I have another blonde, blogging Liz, residing in Northern Spain (Logroño, to be exact). She has her own blog, and as I've actually met her in person, I can say that she is a pretty fantastic person and writer. She wrote up a fabulous post for me about her favorite things to do in La Rioja, so if you haven't been to La Rioja, I highly recommend it!


5 Suggestions of Things to Do in La Rioja

Hi I'm Liz from Memoirs of a Young Adventuress, where I blog about
traveling and expat life abroad. Four years ago, I said goodbye to the
freezing cold New England winters and hola to sunny warm Spain for the
first time, and I haven't looked back since. This year I am lucky
enough to be living in Logroño, in northern Spain. Logroño is situated
in La Rioja, one of the smallest regions in Spain, nestled in between
Bilbao and Pamplona. If you have even heard of La Rioja, it's probably
in relation to the wine industry; it's the premier red wine producing
region in Spain. Aside from the amazing wine, for me La Rioja has to
be one of the most charming, undiscovered areas in Spain, and it is
definitely worth making a visiting, especially if you are going to be
in the north. Here are my five favorite suggestions of things to do
while visiting La Rioja.

1. Laurel and San Juan Streets in Logroño: Northern Spain is famous
for it's food. Logroño was just named the 2012 culinary capital of
Spain, which mean there is no shortage of delicious items to chose
from. There are two famous streets in the old quarter of Logroño
called the calle Laurel and calle San Juan that are jam-packed with
pincho bars. Pinchos are northern Spain's equivalent to tapas,
smaller-sized portions of food, usually served skewered on a slice of
baguette. This is great because it means you can hop from bar to bar
and try several different pinchos a night, paired with some Rioja red
wine, of course.. I usually have between 4 and 6 pinchos, depending on
how hungry I am. Make sure you pack your stretch pants and get ready
to be amazed!



2. Marqués de Riscal Bodega: If you ever come to La Rioja, it is a
must-do to visit and tour a winery (bodega). There are hundreds and
hundreds to chose from, but my personal favorite has to be Marqués de
Riscal. It is right outside Logroño in a quaint medieval town called
Elciego. It's one of the oldest and most prestigious bodegas in La
Rioja, and a few years ago, it got a big makeover by Frank Gehry,
whose work I'm sure you've seen on Liz's blog, since he was the
architect of the Guggenheim. The colorful vanguard of the outside of
the bodega combined with the beautiful countryside, vineyards, and the
old village, make for an interesting contrast. Not to mention some of
the best wine you will ever taste.




3. Laguardia: Hands down one of the most beautiful small towns I have
ever been to is called Laguardia. Technically it's in Basque Country,
Liz's territory, but it's right on the border with La Rioja, and it's
very close to Logroño. A stunning hilltop medieval town, it overlooks
miles and miles of vineyards, shadowed under a tall grey mountain
range. It's easy to get lost wandering it's narrow cobblestone
streets, and everywhere you turn, you get a beautiful view of the
countryside. It is definitely worth exploring, at least for an
afternoon.




4. Clavijo: Near Logroño is one of my favorite castles in the north:
Clavijo. Perched high on top of a cliff, it overlooks Logroño and the
surrounding countryside. Mostly in ruins today, it was a 10th century
castle built by the Arabs, and it was eventually reconquered in a
famous battle. It's fun to spend an afternoon in the sunshine,
scrambling around the ramparts and taking pictures of the incredible
views.

5. Hiking: La Rioja has several mountain ranges and some beautiful
places to go hiking. If you like to spend time outside, there are
plenty of places to chose from. One of my favorite places is in the
south called la Sierra de la Cebollera. The Camino de Santiago, a
famous pilgrimage route from France to Santiago de Compostela in
Galicia also passes through La Rioja. So whether you are making the
whole trek, or just want to walk for a few days, the trail through La
Rioja is very well organized and clear, and passes through some
incredible countryside. Just follow the conch shell images on the
paths.


A big thanks to Liz for putting this together for me! Check back later this week for Semana Santa updates.  If you are interested in doing a guest post, email me at lizenespana@gmail.com 

Originally posted 4.15.11

No comments:

Post a Comment