Sunday, May 11, 2014

Snapshots of Summer

I returned from Uclés yesterday just after midnight. I was sad to go, but happy to sleep in my own bedroom, which, as far as I know, has yet to become haunted.

This was the last of camp of the summer, which made me a little nostalgic. I worked for this company for 6 weeks, and had one of the best summers of my life. I learned a lot, and I got to do a lot of things that I didn't think I would ever do.

I lived in a tiny mountain town in the Pyrenees, and on the plains of La Mancha.





I taught my own class for over 100 hours, and what's more, actually became a good teacher (if I may say so myself).
Notes from my kids at Uclés




 Celebrated the 4th of July in a Catalán pueblo





Made great friends, Spanish, American, Scottish, English... and stayed out til dawn with all of them.

Cookie/Galleta, one of the monitors that was at Pyrenees and Uclés with us.
Teachers at the town festival of Uclés



Teachers at the bar in Bellver





Learned how to cut a ham leg.










I'm practically a pro now







Ate world class food at the Fonda, and over-salted mystery meat at the monastery.


Fried chicken in Uclés, one of the nights we managed to escape the horrible food





Explored a haunted monastery, and didn't get much sleep in the process.



I think I was more scared after the terror night than the kids were!



Went shopping and spa-ing in one of the smallest countries in Europe.

Andorra



Played football with Chelsea players.

Chelsea boys, Ian and Sory


Hiked to an old wind mill in the land of Don Quixote and watched the sunset.

Made and participated in not ONE but TWO successful lip dubs.

The exotic life of a DOS in the Pyrenees...vacuuming the grass/cleaning up after the lipdub



Met a group of Spanish children that made me think that this country is gonna make it out of this crisis.

The only problem is that the more I see of Spain, the more I wonder how I'm ever going to leave it (but that's a different post for a different time).

Originally published 8.27.11

No comments:

Post a Comment