Sunday, May 11, 2014

What's Next?

"So what are your plans for next year?" is the question I have been asked in every way, shape, or form in the past few months. My contract with the Basque Government finished last week, and I am no longer a language assistant. I chose not to try and wade through all the bureaucratic nightmare that I'm sure would await me if I tried to renew.

View from the top of Pagasarri, a mountain overlooking Bilbao


I'm packing it back up and moving back to the States. Do I have a job? Nope. If anyone wants to give me one, I would be grateful. Do I have a place to live? Besides my parent's house? Nope. Am I sure the right decision is to return to the States? Nope.

Right now I'm traveling around Europe, a final trip to end my time here. In July, I'll head back to the Pyrenees to work at camp for the month. And on the 31st, I'll board a plane to Chicago. Of course, I'm nervous about finding a job, reverse culture shock, and everything that comes with that. But two of the most important things I've learned living in Spain are 1) Nothing has to be permanent if you don't want it to be. If I end up hating living in the States, I can always pack it up and head elsewhere, which brings me to 2) the demand for English is huge around the world. I have two years of experience under my belt, so if nothing turns up in the States, I can always head to Asia, the Middle East, or South America for a new adventure.

I'll be keeping up with this blog throughout the summer, so don't abandon me! I'll also be documenting my re-entry into the United States, and seeing what shenanigans I can get into in my own backyard.

Yes, I'm sad to be finishing my time here in Spain, but I'm ready to go home.

Originally published 6.9.12

No comments:

Post a Comment