Sunday, May 11, 2014

Name Dropping

When I started my blog a year y pico ago, I wasn't really sure what I was going to get out of it. Mostly, I wanted people back home to be able to see what I was up to, and to keep a record for myself of my experiences here in Spain. Before I left, I became obsessed with reading different blogs of people who were already in Spain. I hoped that my blog would be half as witty/informative/interesting as many of the blogs was reading.

However, I didn't expect to make so many friends. I didn't expect the blogging community (expat and travel blogging community, to be specific) to be so friendly. I thought it would be more competitive, more of trying to one-up each other in tales and exploits. So glad I was wrong about that one.

I've found a group of people that are willing to answer questions, give suggestions, and relate to whatever problem or obstacle one might have.  It doesn't matter if you're all travel/expat bloggers, there's room for everyone on the internet.

And when I say I made friends, I don't just mean internet friends. I've had pintxos with Mike from Michael Feighner when he and his sister rolled through Bilbao. Kata, from Life in la Capital del Mundo, was the first person I met when I got to my new home in Euskadi. I met Megan from Only the Wind Knows Where... at the Chicago consulate getting our visas. And I shared a sunny afternoon in Sevilla drinking Cruzcampo with the lovely Cat, of Sunshine and Siestas.

I haven't actually met Kaley from Y Mucho Más, which is a pity, since she leaves to go back to the States in mere weeks, but since we're both Midwestern girls, I'm sure our paths will cross. I "met" Christine, from Christine in Spain, via twitter, and have enjoyed reading her posts. One of these days we'll be real-life friends, I think. Sarah from Love and Paella has inspired me with her photos, and all of these ladies (and Mike) have pushed me to be a better writer.

Some people think it's a little strange that I'll meet up with complete "strangers", but when you follow someone's blog, they're not really a stranger. You're reading about their life, their struggles and victories. You can relate to what they're going through, and as an American living abroad, it's nice to know you're not alone in all of this. It's fun to meet someone that you feel like you already know. 

I look forward to continuing my foray into the travel blogging world for another year, and I'm excited to meet as many more of these blogging friends in the following year as I can. So to all my blogging friends, thanks for being so awesome!

Originally published 5.21.11

No comments:

Post a Comment