Sunday, May 11, 2014

Travel and Minimalism

Minimalism is big right now. It's in books, it's on TV, it's all over the internet. However, this is one "trend" (unlike Silly Bands) that I can support 100%. If you're not familiar with the concept, my friend Joshua Becker, from minimalist website Becoming Minimalist  defines minimalism as "...a growing movement that continues to invite others to live with less and define their lives in greater ways than by the things they own..."


"I knew rebajas was a bad idea..."

Minimalism has always been attractive to me. I don't want to have to have the things I own define who I am. I like spending my money on things like travel, and having experiences that I will always remember.

 I have always kind of liked moving. Since I started college, I have moved on average once a year. It's great, because it gives me an excuse to go through all my junk and throw out what I haven't used in the past year. It feels good to get rid of stuff. 

If you ever want to be forced to adopt minimalism, move out of the country indefinitely. When you can only fit your life into two 50lb suitcases, what's important and what's not quickly becoming evident. Do I really need every pair of jeans that I own? I can't bring that painting that I thought I had to have, so I might as well send it to Goodwill. 

The two things that I struggle with the most when it comes to minimalism are books and clothes. Books have been easily remedied by my Kindle, and clothes...well, I'm still working on that one. 

Fight the temptation to shop!

Despite my growing closet, I still think I have less "things" than most people my age. I attribute  a lot of that to living abroad. I can't buy nice furniture, what would I do with it when I leave? I don't have to have certain clothes for work, I can wear my normal clothes to teach in. I don't have a car, just a metro pass. 

Will this have to change when I return to the States? Possibly. However, when that happens, I hope that I can continue to pursue minimalist principles, and be content with less. 

Originally published 1.30.11

No comments:

Post a Comment