Sunday, May 11, 2014

Study Abroad: The Way I See It

Kaley and Kelly have both written posts about studying abroad, and given a lot of good advice, so I thought I would also add my 2 cents on study abroad. 

First of all, no matter what your major is, study abroad. It's becoming more and more popular for all majors to have some sort of program, whether you are journalism or nursing. Even if it will set you back a semester, try and fit it in. Many schools have summer programs, so if you are really chomping at the bit to graduate on time (overrated), you can spend a couple months in the summer abroad. Even if you don't speak a foreign language, study abroad. Ever heard of Australia? Ireland? South Africa? There are plenty English-speaking countries where you can discover a new culture and not have to worry about  being understood. Worried about money? Talk to your study abroad office and financial aid office. Many programs have grants that are available for students that need assistance. Some state government even offer scholarships for students looking to go abroad. There are many options, you just have to ask. 

Now, on to my top tips for studying abroad:

1. If you are going abroad to learn a language, consider a city that's not as well-known. 

I studied in Valladolid, Spain. If you've never been to Spain, you've probably never heard of it. If you've been to Spain, you've probably never been. While it may not have been as exotic as Barcelona or had as many things to do as Madrid, it was perfect for me because no one spoke English. My host mom didn't, the professors at least pretended they didn't, and most people you came across in your day to day interactions didn't. 
See? It's pretty. 

2. Don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone. 

When I studied abroad, I met an embarrassingly low amount of people from Valladolid. I was with a group of people from my university, and we tended to hang out at the same bar, with the same English-speakers almost every night. I went to a couple intercambios, but after some weird guy grilling me about tractors in Wisconsin, I gave up. I wish I would have branched out a little bit more, and made more connections. Don't be afraid to stray away from the pack. Make sure your semester abroad isn't your university, just in another country. You'll make great friends, and always have someone to stay with when you come back to visit!

Spanish friends


3. Disconnect

Kelly talked about the importance of taking some time off from the internet when studying abroad, and I totally agree with her. I think that it can really make or break your semester. With Whatsapp, Skype, and Facebook, sometimes it seems like you never left the States. When I was abroad, my host mom didn't have internet, and after the first month, my laptop broke. While I still emailed my parents, booked trips online, and went on Facebook from time to time, for the most part, I was blissfully disconnected. I didn't get too homesick, and I think that part of it was that I really didn't know what my friends and family were up to at home.

My art professor, Jesús



4. Choose your travel companions carefully

If you study abroad in Europe, the opportunities for travel are endless. Cheap flights, budget hostels, and long weekends are the formula for a great semester abroad. Inevitably, you're going to want to travel with your new study abroad buddies. However, be warned: just because someone is a good friend, doesn't mean they are going to be a good travel buddy. What do you like to do on a trip? Wake up early and see the sites? Stay out late partying with the people in your hostel? Hiking? Spa-ing? Make sure your travel personalities match up, or you'll both be miserable. Another word of advice: travelling with a huge group of people sounds like fun, but trust me, trying to get 10 people from point A to point B can be a nightmare. I've found that 4-5 people is the perfect number for group travel.

Katelyn, my roommate and excellent travel buddy

5. Don't be afraid to try new things

This is why you went abroad, right? Make the most of your time, because trust me, it will fly. Try food that you think looks questionable. Go skydiving in the Alps. Get a haircut. Fall in (or out) of love. Talk to people that you normally wouldn't. Stay out until 8 am. You will only regret the things that you didn't do. For me, my semester in Spain was the first time in years I didn't have a job. If you're living with a host family or in a residence, you probably won't have to pay rent. It's the rare opportunity to have less responsibility, and do things you don't have a chance to do back home. Go a little crazy. If nothing else, you'll have some great photos.

Celebrating Carnaval in Cádiz. 


Did you study abroad? Are you planning on doing it in the future? What are some tips you have for those wanting to do a semester abroad?

Originally posted 1.22.12

No comments:

Post a Comment