Sunday, May 11, 2014

I Don't Speak Spanish

Well, not entirely. But hear me out.

I've noticed that when Spanish people talk, there's not much of a break in the conversation. For example, when I'm in my department at school, the teachers are continually talking and interrupting each other. It's not rude, I've come to realize that this is fairly normal.

Here's the thing: I haven't quite gotten the hang of the whole interrupting thing, especially in a foreign language. Even in English, I try to let people finish before saying whatever I'm going to say. That, apparently, does not fly here.

Matt, on the other hand, is skilled at this in both English and Spanish. Spend any amount of time with him, and you will see that the kid hates silence in a conversation. So you can imagine that the skill would translate to a foreign language, which it does (and very well, might I add).

However, Matt's aptitude in the art of Spanish conversation has, on more than one occasion, lead people to believe that my Spanish is at a much lower level than his. While his Spanish may be a little better than mine, I do hold a degree in Spanish and can carry on a conversation at a pretty proficient level.

So, Spanish people of the world, it's not that I don't speak Spanish well, it's just that I'm no good at the interrupting thing.

Originally published 2.21.11

No comments:

Post a Comment