Sunday, May 11, 2014

Umbrella Wars

I've heard a lot of Americans take note on how Spaniards walk on sidewalks. I too have noticed the awkwardness of not knowing which way to go and inadvertently running into an old lady who has just come from doing her shopping.

In Bilbao, where it rains about a million days out of the year, this problem is escalated when umbrellas are brought into the picture.

If there are any rules on this, pleeeeeeease someone fill me in.

The sidewalks are not always wide enough for 2 people, let alone 2 people with massive umbrellas. Speaking of, the umbrellas here are massive. I recently was gifted one by my teachers, and while it is spectacular at keeping me dry (most of the time), I feel as if I am only adding to the problem.

For example, when walking towards someone, knowing that you both will not fit with your umbrellas, how do you know who lifts theirs higher as to not collide? Or when you are in a narrow alley, who turns their umbrella? What about when there's scaffolding involved? Do you close the umbrella, or just hope no one else walks under it at the same time with their umbrella also up?

These are the tough questions, people! If anyone has any insight, I would be truly grateful.

Originally published 2.24.11

No comments:

Post a Comment